Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: so glad to have found you guys! **UPDATED**  (Read 6635 times)

• View Profile
so glad to have found you guys! **UPDATED**
« on: October 08, 2010 at 07:33 PM »
Hello!

I am so so happy to have found this website. 

This is my 3rd pregnancy (first was a molar pregnancy), my daughter is almost 19 months old (she was induced at 41 weeks).  My current pregnancy been very different.  There were some abnormalities on my anatomy scan that raised my risk for trisomy 18 to 1 out of 400 (from the original 1/10,000 at my NT scan), so I had to get a follow up ultrasound at 26 weeks.  During that scan they happened to notice that my cervix was "funneling" and was only 8 mm long so i went on modified bedrest for a few days but noticed increased pressure so i went in to make sure things were stable, instead, my cervix had continued to funnel and was only 1 to 2 mm long!!  So, they checked my cervix and found I was also 2 cm dilated.  I was admitted, given steroids (despite negative FFN a few days earlier) and placed on complete bedrest with bathroom breaks and 2 minute showers.  That was last Monday, so it's been 1.5 weeks of complete bedrest, now at 28 + 2 days, hoping to beat the odds and make it to 37 weeks (doctors say I have a 50% chance of getting to 34 wks and 25% chance of getting to full term. 

Looking forward to Monday's roll call and hoping I'm still pregnant for it!

Despite having only a 0.1 cm (or 1mm) thick funneling cervix at 26 weeks (no cerclage), after 10 weeks of strict bedrest, 1 week of modified and 3 weeks of working full time once full term, I made it to 40 weeks and 2 days!!

My baby was born New Years Eve, weighing 8 lbs and 3 oz, 21 inches long.  He is perfect (despite warnings of possible trisomy 18 and hydronephrosis, fortunately he has neither of these either!) He was born using hypnobabies which helped manage the pain.

Bedrest is not easy (miserable on many days, especially the really nice ones when I just wanted to stand outside and enjoy fresh air but was terrified of the extra pressure that would put on my cervix)  but it was so worth it to have this little one in the end.  Big sister (21 months) is adjusting well and thanks to Angela for keeping this site here for others to know we are not alone!!!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011 at 08:34 PM by 122910 »

aditya

• View Profile
Re: so glad to have found you guys!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010 at 10:57 AM »
hi

i am pregnant with twin boys and have been on strict bedrest for short cervix and being dialated for 4 weeks now. i never thought it was possible and i had so many doubts along the way but here i am past 34 weeks and hoping for 35 and dreaming about 36. so many women on this site have made it for weeks on bedrest so
i am sending positive thoughts your way for many more weeks of cooking your liitle one.

i really look forward to mondays as well, getting to hear how everyone is doing. 

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010 at 07:02 PM »
Hi Aditya,

thanks for the encouragement and positive thoughts!  I am glad you've made it to 34 weeks!  (Isn't full term for twins even less than for singletons?)
when would your doctor let you off of bedrest?

I just spoke to my husband's friend who was also on bedrest for a short cervix and she ended up coming off of bedrest at 36 wks and induced at 40 weeks! 

have a great evening,
helen.

aditya

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010 at 07:37 PM »
i think full term for twins is 38 weeks. i am off strict bedrest end of this week which is 35 weeks and off meds at 36 weeks, or at least that is what i am expecting. i wont know for sure until i see the dr. on thursday. i also have heard of women staying pregnant for weeks after getting off bedrest.

good luck helen and keep us all posted on how you are doing :)

fritter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010 at 09:09 AM »
Hi Helen,

I have been on bed rest since week 26 for a shortening cervix and I am 36 weeks tomorrow with twins..I was last checked for dilation on Thursday, and nope. Anyhow-just wanted to encourage you and say that I am a bed rest believer- I don't think we could have made it this far had I still been running around after my son and everythign else. It sure is hard, but it does pay off :)

Best wishes-
Farrah

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010 at 05:50 PM »
Hi Farrah!

That is such great news!  It is always encouraging to hear a success story!

It can certainly be harder to stay down when you have another little one running around (mine is almost 19 months), but you're almost done!

take care and thanks again,
helen.

• View Profile
Re: so glad to have found you guys! **UPDATED**
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011 at 08:35 PM »
Despite having only a 0.1 cm (or 1mm) thick funneling cervix at 26 weeks (no cerclage), after 10 weeks of strict bedrest, 1 week of modified and 3 weeks of working full time once full term, I made it to 40 weeks and 2 days!!

My baby was born New Years Eve, weighing 8 lbs and 3 oz, 21 inches long.  He is perfect (despite warnings of possible trisomy 18 and hydronephrosis, fortunately he has neither of these either!) He was born using hypnobabies which helped manage the pain.

Bedrest is not easy (miserable on many days, especially the really nice ones when I just wanted to stand outside and enjoy fresh air but was terrified of the extra pressure that would put on my cervix)  but it was so worth it to have this little one in the end.  Big sister (21 months) is adjusting well and thanks to Angela for keeping this site here for others to know we are not alone!!!

stayinthere

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011 at 09:46 PM »
So, so glad everything went so well for you and baby! Hurray for full-term. All of my baby things are washed and put away and ready for baby. I told my mom that I thought I was overcompensating because of the first one coming early. Her first was early and she said she did the same getting ready ahead of time thing with her second baby, who ended up being born on her due date.  I am hoping for the same.
I've been interested in hypnobabies, I planned on an epidural for my first baby and didn't end up getting it until I was 9. I often think, maybe I should have just finished without it?? Do you have any thoughts on the program, preparation or use of hypnobabies. Thanks and again, WAY excited for you.

elypineda

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011 at 09:52 PM »
Congratulations 122910!!  It is so nice and comforting to here about your success story!!  Amazing you made it 40w 2 - what a blessing.  Just goes to show how important it is to continue with our bedrest.  
Elizabeth (elypineda)

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011 at 08:53 AM »
Hooray!!!! Congratulations, Helen! What an inspiration you are for other moms going through a similar situation!

I remember when you first joined and I saw your due date as your screen name, and I thought, "Wow, we've got a long way to go." But you did it! You have made my week!

Much love to you and your family,
Angela

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011 at 07:53 PM »
to stayinthere,

yeah, I got my epidural with my first baby at 10 cm (they didn;t check to see how dilated I was for several hours and not til immediately after the epidural did I find out that sensation to push was probably because I was already complete...)

even if you do get an epidural, it can help to have hypnobabies for all the part before the epi...I had more time to prepare since I was on bedrest.  here's what I did before hand:

I started listening to it at 32 weeks but did not do it as prescribed
as I was missing a couple of the CDs (I moved earlier in the pregnancy
and could not find the missing CDs and could not afford new ones at
that point).  I did the reading and faithfully listened to the
pregnancy affirmations daily (missing just a few handful of days) and
"Deepening Hypnosis" daily. I did NOT do the finger drop technique as
much as I could, at most, twice a day, more often just when I listened
to the deepening hypnosis CD.  My husband did not do any birth partner
scripts.  He knew I was committed to hypnobabies but I was the one
doing all of the actual work.  I really liked the “Peace” cue.
I read lots of success stories and watched Youtube videos of others in
the midst of their hypnobabies birth to get inspired.

hope this helps!!