Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Kidney Stones during pregnancy  (Read 3600 times)

ashleyhawkes85

• View Profile
Kidney Stones during pregnancy
« on: October 13, 2010 at 01:27 AM »
I am just curious if anyone on here has dealt with kidney stones during pregnancy and preterm labor in effect? I do NOT have kidney stones when I am not pregnant, but when I am, I pass at least one stone weekly. It sucks, but I lived through it with two pregnancies and my babies were born early but healthy.

munchkinsmom

• View Profile
Re: Kidney Stones during pregnancy
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010 at 01:56 AM »
I had one during my last pregnancy. It was much more minor than what you've dealt with though. I was hospitalized for three days until I passed it and the tenderness was gone. It never caused contractions or any other complications.
Proud Mommy to five munchkins - ages 10, 8, 6, 5, and 1
Baby #6 due 9/22/12 - bedrest from 14 wks due to contractions

moandozzy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010 at 05:29 PM »
Hi!
I DID have kidney stones during my pregnancy.  I had a lot of consistent pain and my OB met me at L&D at 28 weeks and sure enough, after a little thump on my back, we were sure it was kidney stones.  He said it happens in some women (especially those prone to stones or with a family history of stones) because of the prenatal vitamin.  He had me quit taking them after I described my typical daily diet to him.  So, if you are concerned, you might want to talk to your doctor about your prenatal.  If your body is flushing unnecessary nutrients from your vitamin, it can cause the stones to form.  I took antibiotics (to avoid the common UTI) and pain killers for a few days until they all passed.  I  had no contractions and my boy was born healthy just one day before his due date. 

ashleyhawkes85

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010 at 12:08 AM »
Interesting thought about the prenatal vitamins. I think the cause for stones is different for everyone, I have had mine analyzed several times and my stones are all made of different things. I actually don't take prenatals and I have had doctors tell me just about everything, but no matter what I've tried, I keep getting them. This is my third pregnancy with stones. My urologist is completely baffled, as am I!