Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Pubic Symphasis Dysfunction  (Read 3215 times)

Ems

• View Profile
Pubic Symphasis Dysfunction
« on: November 21, 2010 at 01:04 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has any advise out there on this.  I had it terribly with my first pregnancy and couldnt walk 5 steps to the loo without significant help.  It seemed to get worse as I got past 33 weeks (which is where I am at now with my second pregnancy).  It has been playing up a bit but not too bad at the moment.  I have been doing everything th physio said - sleeping with a pillow between my knees and ankles, wearing a hideous support belt, keeping my legs together etc etc.  Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and has any advise to offer.  Ta heaps
Ems xxx

stayinthere

• View Profile
Re: Pubic Symphasis Dysfunction
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010 at 12:09 AM »
Ems, I can't remember if you are on bedrest or not. I am a physical therapist, but I don't do a lot of outpatient. The support belt is one of the best things you can probably use. Also, getting dressed sitting down and avoiding single leg activities - careful stepping off curbs etc. Also, doing your kegals and strengthening the transversus abdominus (TA) (one of your abdominal muscles) is helpful; such as pelvic tilts  You can message me or talk to your physio for more specifics on exercise, too much to write here. I also haven't looked up research, but along with strengthening your TA, it seems strengthening your hip muscles will help you keep more control over your movements and hopefully lead to fewer situations that would mobilize your joints. Sidelying leg lifts for example strengthening the muscles on the side of your hip. I wouldn't do standing hip exercises because they are generally single leg activities. The hard part, the muscle building will be adding reserve to hopefully help the condition. The cause is pregnancy and the hormone relaxin, which won't change until you deliver, but hopefully the added reserve will make things more bearable this time around!

BigMommaJemS

• View Profile
Re: Pubic Symphasis Dysfunction
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011 at 12:27 AM »
I feel for you! I had PSD with Son#3 exactly what as you described. I was so nervous when I found out I was pregnant again -I am almost 35weeks pregnant with Son#4- because I thought I would have it again. I have had some problems but nothing like I did with Son#3. The worse was/is turning over in bed or having to get in & out of bed.  The previous poster has great advice. I just wanted to pop in, say HI & offer myself as a listening ear. Unfortunately, I didn't find anything helped me but rest so I hope you find something that helps. Hang in there!