Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: 1 week down, 15 weeks to go  (Read 2956 times)

Karamie

• View Profile
1 week down, 15 weeks to go
« on: December 09, 2010 at 10:35 PM »
I am just looking for ideas that I can do to keep myself occupied and keep from going crazy the next 15 weeks. I am generally a very active person and having only been on bed rest for one week now it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I have read 4 books and even had my husband go purchase a TV to help occupy my time. I have done my registry online to maintain positive thinking but now I am done with that. I do work from home so I am keeping somewhat busy but he is working long hours and isn't home as often as I like. Let me know what you do!

JacErnst

• View Profile
Re: 1 week down, 15 weeks to go
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010 at 11:34 AM »
I totally understand - I am used to working 60+ hours a week and being at the gym 6 days a week.

I borrowed some tv's on dvd from my sister and mom - and i started knitting and crocheting again. I retaught myself on youtube  - or I know you can get a cd rom from walmart for both for about 10$. It's nice to at  least be able to be a bit productive when you're in bed.

do you have a laptop you can use?
www.babEblessings.com
proud momma to Grayson born Jan 30 2011 at 32+3
babE2 due April 16, 2013
Proud NICU survivor

pillowqueen

• View Profile
Re: 1 week down, 15 weeks to go
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010 at 05:47 PM »
I'm 35 weeks and have been on bedrest for a short cervix since 20 weeks and to get me through this is what I have done:

* I completely agree about the knitting and crocheting - so far I have knit the baby a little sweater, a couple of crocheted hats (plus one for my neice) and am currently making her some hacky sack juggling balls for Christmas presents and will start to make the baby a knitted puppet (if I have the time that is before baby comes!!!) Ask your friends and family to donate any unused wool and knitting needles to get you started if you don't have anything in the house yourself. Lots of patterns can be found for free on the internet.

* I also have been sewing (hand stitching) little ornaments in the shape of stockings from scrap fabric that I had on hand and stuffing with fibre fill. It's a nice way to be able to give as little presents to all the people I'd like to do something for but can't because bedrest has affected my time to shop and money is much tighter with me not working.

* I organized all of my digital photos on the laptop and updated my albums on facebook.

* I asked my friends to gather old magazines which they brought over for me to read (sometimes I just couldn't get into reading novels even though I am normally an avid reader).

* I researched SO much online - breastfeeing, preemie births, diaper free babies, sign language etc. Whatever you want. I also got my partner to get some birthing and parenting books out from the library for those times I didn't feel like being at the computer ( I find that it isn't comfortable to spend long periods at the laptop while lying down). I also read tons of reviews for strollers, car seats etc which was nice because I usually wouldn't have had the time. I am a baby expert ( though I expect I'll likely forget most of it when baby arrives - LOL!)

* Each week on thursdays when the flyers came I would search through and find the best shopping deals for groceries and clipped coupons and would prepare meals plans and grocery lists for my family. Not only does it help to save money it takes the pressure off since they have to do more since you can't help. It's not a bad to start looking into deals for diapers and baby gear etc. though I wouldn't reccommend buying anything too early just in case. I didn't start buying anything for the baby until after 32 weeks.

* Last but not least borrow movies and or TV series from friends and get a routine of favorite shows to watch during the day. Not only do they help past the time but it gives you a routine. Sometimes I found the weekend harder to cope with because I wasn't sure what to so with myself becuase my daily shows weren't on.

If I think of anything else I'll post again but you can definitely do this - the first few weeks are the hardest and then you adapt. Good luck!!!