Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Steroid injections  (Read 4936 times)

JacErnst

• View Profile
Steroid injections
« on: December 13, 2010 at 11:37 AM »
who has had these? any Canadian's?

I'm set to go in on Thursday for my first round and i don't know what to expect 100%.
www.babEblessings.com
proud momma to Grayson born Jan 30 2011 at 32+3
babE2 due April 16, 2013
Proud NICU survivor

stayinthere

• View Profile
Re: Steroid injections
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010 at 01:31 PM »
I had steroid injections with my first, but I live in the US. If it is the same I had my first one the day I went into early labor and then the 2nd dose 24 hours later I believe. I didn't notice any effect on me or the baby and I am not fearful of shots so it really wasn't bad. I was in the hospital so already being monitored, but they probably want to monitor to make sure your blood sugar levels stay stable and that you don't develop pulmonary edema. Although, the risk is pretty low for both of those. Here is a link to a site a find helpful for a lot of questions: http://www.babycenter.com/404_should-i-take-steroids-during-preterm-labor_5437.bc

munchkinsmom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010 at 06:21 PM »
I had them with this last pg. My face and chest got really, really flushed from them. I don't know what other side effects I had due to those as I also had several terb shots and was super hydrated at the same time, so I don't know what side effects were from what. They hurt, but not as bad as I expected.
Proud Mommy to five munchkins - ages 10, 8, 6, 5, and 1
Baby #6 due 9/22/12 - bedrest from 14 wks due to contractions

blessedmom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010 at 07:06 PM »
what kind of steroid injections and what are they for? i had one of two shots for her  lungs.

JacErnst

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010 at 07:43 PM »
it's for his lungs and bowels. I'm not really looking forward to it, but i'll do anything for him!
www.babEblessings.com
proud momma to Grayson born Jan 30 2011 at 32+3
babE2 due April 16, 2013
Proud NICU survivor

blessedmom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010 at 01:23 PM »
the shot i had for her lungs made me sore a bit, but really no side effects. i was shocked becasuse i get cushings from steroids. They did work. They gave me the one shot thinking I was having a placental abruption -  they were getting me ready for surgery. After they found I wasn't, they decided not to do the second shot. Her lungs did develop earlier. Well worth the momentary discomfort. Out of everything they have done to me - that shot was the easiest - dont worry!!