Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: How do u relieve stress on bed rest?  (Read 5660 times)

Reaganh3

• View Profile
How do u relieve stress on bed rest?
« on: January 09, 2011 at 03:41 PM »
Epiphany today:
In the past, when stressed - I could walk the aisles of Target, go get a pedicure, go to the gym, go anywhere, etc.  Or maybe eat cookies or ice cream (gest diabetes ruined that one).  I realized today that I really have zero stress relief.  Combine that with pregnancy hormones and its no wonder I'm on an emotional rollercoaster! 
How do you ladies cope when you are angry or frustrated?  I don't want to yell and scream anymore.   :-X  This poor baby probably thinks its mother is a monster. 
Baby Girl EDD 3/10/11.  Bed rest since 25wks (11/23/10), due to contractions & history of pre-term delivery.

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Re: How do u relieve stress on bed rest?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011 at 08:01 AM »
Good point! Seems like all the things we normally do to relieve stress are no-no's on bedrest. My husband though I was crazy for watching so much Law & Order on bedrest, but it let me get caught up in someone else's drama--not mine! You might also like the show "Medium" for the same reason. (Any other suggestions for shows to get caught up in, ladies?)

Lots of moms have said doing some kind of craft (like knitting) helped to ease the stress. The repetition has a meditative quality to it. Also, a wonderful hypnotherapist designed an relaxation exercise just for Keep 'Em Cookin'. Talk about relaxed! Seriously, it will CHILL YOU OUT. Try it! Let me know what you think.... http://bit.ly/75pZR3

stayinthere

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011 at 02:11 PM »
Feeling the same way about stress and I tried the download awhile back that Angela posted and it worked like a charm. I use it often. Hypnobabies also has a free download that has helped - I fell asleep listening to it. http://www.hypnobabies.com/mylink.php?id=4058#2freemp3
I also have a stress ball that I can squeeze or use elastic resistance bands for upper arm exercises to disperse the tension and feel a little less like a slug, this is generally OK to do on bedrest, but it is always good to check with your practitioner.

pillowqueen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011 at 03:04 PM »
I am not normally a bath person but while on bedrest I took tons of baths! Not only did I find them super relaxing the change of scenery, as corny as it sounds, really made a difference, plus it relieved some of the physical discomforts of laying down all day. Not sure how strict your bedrest is but I do recommend having someone around to help you get in and out because you wouldn't want to use too many stomach muscles straining. And a bath pillow is an added luxury.

I also spent alot of 'quality' time with the baby. Usually on bedrest it'sall about what you can't do but you've actually been blessed with being aware of most of your baby's daily movements compared to active women who are usually caught up working and doing other things. I used to massage the baby's back through my belly which had the added benefit of relaxing me. I would talk and sing to the baby and sometimes just get hypnotized by watching his/her wiggles and rolls accross my belly (beats the northern lights in my opinion). Overall I really enjoyed having this bonus time.

Lastly it's important to vent. Cry if you have to, post here, have a good chat with your partner or someone who understands. Keeping it in, in my opinion, just makes it worse cause those feelings fester.

Hope this helps and good luck! It's not easy but I know you can do it because you have already proved you can!

Reaganh3

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011 at 03:07 PM »
Yeah, I enjoy a good bath once a day.  I downloaded the hypnotherapy relaxation thing.  I'll let you know what I think of it after I try it. 
Baby Girl EDD 3/10/11.  Bed rest since 25wks (11/23/10), due to contractions & history of pre-term delivery.

tntmom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011 at 10:36 PM »
So far I don't have any type of routine...but I want to second watching Law & Order. I watched that show a ton last time around. I also ordered the Hypnobabies "Baby Stay IN!" but I mainly listen to that while falling asleep.

I wish I could knit or something but I'm not quite that talented. I do really enjoy reading and crosswords to keep my mind occupied. Mostly it's magazines though since I can't seem to concentrate long enough for books. I also find that surfing the web for funny/inspirational blogs somewhat helpful.....or even "shopping" online for the baby, although I rarely order a thing!

pixie

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011 at 08:49 AM »
That is a good question, I still haven't found the answer. And my stress relief was denied me from the moment of conception. I used to run, at least two times a week. 3-4 if I could swing it and felt like I needed it. My SO and I took turns going to the gym early in the morning to run some miles. And that was my outlet and stress relief, and mental breake, "breather", etc. So it was really something I didn't think I could do without. High-risk pregnancy put a stop to it right from the positive test. And since then I've been wondering. I was allowed to swim, earlier in pregnancy, but it was never the same as running for me. Not at all. I can't wait to get back in my running shoes! But I don't know when that'll be, not allowed the first 6 weeks after birth, and then I have to wait until baby is big enough so I know he'll be fine without the boob for at least an hour so I can leave him with SO to go run. Ah, someday!

I don't have the patience to do anything crafty, just not me.
And I don't think books, magazines or shows relief stress. Or surfing online.

I've found that I *can* get some stress relief from Yoga and QiGong, I'm allowed to do the really low-key stuff that involves a lot of breathing and relaxing, tiny movements and such.
And also, listening to my HypnoBabies. Best results if I put the TNS (/TENS) machine on at the same time (also helps with PGP), or lie on my accupressure mat.
And I'm a singer, so singing can do it sometimes. 1. soprano, so the really high notes are good.

I love the bonding time with the baby too, and I feel really lucky to have this strong bond with him. I know his sleep and awake patterns and such. And I know what he responds to, and what calmes him down. I really know him as much as I can from the outside. And that is precious. It's been important to me all the way, if this was the only time I got with him, then I wanted to really know him and love him. But that's not about stress relief for me, it's just one of the few actual positive things about bed rest.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011 at 08:55 AM by pixie »