Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Gestational Diabetes  (Read 11093 times)

Reaganh3

• View Profile
Re: Gestational Diabetes
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011 at 10:14 PM »
Check this out:  http://edys.slowchurned.com/flavor.aspx?b=117&f=2218

1/2 cup of this Thin Mint ice cream is just over 1 serving of carbs.  You can probably have a full cup before bed. 
Baby Girl EDD 3/10/11.  Bed rest since 25wks (11/23/10), due to contractions & history of pre-term delivery.

Reaganh3

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011 at 01:13 PM »
Thin Mint Lovers Rejoice!

Based on this, http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/nutrition-calories/food/girl-scout-cookie/thin-mints/
 it appears one thin mint is equal to 5 carbs.  So, 3 cookies would be 1 carb choice.  IF, and that is a big IF, you can somehow limit yourself to only 3 cookies a day - it looks like a reasonable snack. 

Baby Girl EDD 3/10/11.  Bed rest since 25wks (11/23/10), due to contractions & history of pre-term delivery.

arenee22

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2011 at 09:17 PM »
I failed the one hour test, which I am sure was because I ate the wrong things for breakfast and I have to have a 3 hour test done. Did any of you have that test? How did you manage sitting for 3 hours at the lab, when you were supposed to be on BR

Reaganh3

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011 at 09:19 PM »
I had to take the 3 hour test and it sucked!  I took a book to read to help keep my mind off the time. 
They are letting you eat breakfast before the test???????  Seems like you could easily 'cheat the system' that way.
I had to fast for 12 hours before my tests. 

arenee22

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2011 at 09:27 PM »
I have to fast for the 3 hour test, but the one hour test I was able to eat. I just screwed up. I failed the one hour with my son and passed the 2 hour test. I am so dreading the 3 hour test.

Reaganh3

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2011 at 09:35 PM »
Well, good luck - I hope you pass. 
Maybe take a little pillow with you for comfort.  If there are different types of seating in the office, switch seats every so often.  Try to prop your feet up if you can. 

arenee22

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2011 at 11:28 PM »
Thanks, I will let you know what happens

arenee22

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2011 at 07:49 PM »
Well I talked to my dr. and I have to do the 3 hour test  :-[

Lanespoli

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2011 at 02:33 PM »
After failing the 1 hour test myself, the doctors wanted me to do the 3 hour, but there was only 1 lab that had a cot for me to lay down at.  I loathe needles and the doctors were concerned about me fasting 12 hours, then sitting at a lab for 3 hours having blood drawn 5 times then driving home.  They decided to give me a home glucose monitoring kit to do for 3 days to see what the results were and due to my fear of needles and pricking, I have been unsuccessful in using the kit.  The doctors have now decided to have me come to their office this week with the kit and I will lay in one of their examination rooms for 3 hours while they prick my finger each hour, with Lidocaine I might add, instead of drawing the blood from my arms (which I heard is an absolute nightmare during the 3 hour test).  If 2 pricks come back okay, then they won't do the 3rd.  If during the 3 hours all the pricks come back high, they will treat me for GD.

My question is, why don't they do that for everyone instead of making BR people go to a lab and suffer through 5 blood draws in 3 hours on a 15 hour empty stomach???  Maybe I have a needle phobia far greater than most, but even the people I have spoke to that don't have a needle phobia say it is absolutely brutal on your arms and extremely painful for 3 hours.

Lori
Baby Gia, due May 10th....bedrest since 1/25/11 at 25 weeks, due to shortened cervix (1.6).
C-section scheduled for May 3rd, yea!!!

arenee22

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2011 at 06:35 PM »
Lori-did you have your test yet? how did it turn out? 

I failed my 3 hour test :-( I am so bummed