Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: DD Shortening Cervix 26 Weeks - Need input please  (Read 4346 times)

Lala

• View Profile
DD Shortening Cervix 26 Weeks - Need input please
« on: March 26, 2009 at 10:23 AM »
My DD works full time (unable to use message boards, so I am her advocate here)...I need your help.

She is 26 weeks and this is her first pregnancy - 2 days ago she went to her OB - she's not sleeping, she's having pains and is concerned.  They did a u/s at 20 weeks and cervix length was 4.0 - wonderful!  Anyway, she told her OB she thinks she should be put on modified bedrest - she travels 2 hours one way to work and then works 9 hours, then 2 hours back home.  Fingers and face are beginning to swell, but BP is wonderful.  OB gives her an attitude - says that all pregnant women are tired and she should just shorten her hours at work (which she cannot do or she loses pay and bennies - including upcoming disability for when it is time for her to go out) and that the pains are from stretching.  So she does an internal and says feels like cervix is thinning and sends her for a sonogram, and says if she's 2.5 or below, she'll put her on bedrest.  She's at 3.0.  Which I know is normal, but in six weeks, it's already down from 4.0.  She goes back on 4/9 for her regular appointment, bloodwork and GTT...OB didn't say anything about another sono, but I think DD should push it again.

How quickly does cervical length normally start declining in this stage of the pregnancy (if she's 3.0 now - how long before she gets to 2.5 and she can go on bedrest)?  I know there's really no "set" number, but looking for personal experiences from you ladies. 

TIA,

Laura

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Re: DD Shortening Cervix 26 Weeks - Need input please
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009 at 09:39 PM »
Laura,
Thanks for taking the time to be her advocate. I think you are right to be concerned. Here's a short answer to your question:
"The length of the cervix is expected to shorten as a pregnancy progresses, but a length of 3.0 cm to 3.5 cm isn't expected until 32 to 36 weeks." You can find more info from two major studies on cervical length and preterm labor here: http://www.keepemcookin.com/prevention.aspx

Statistically, your DD may be just fine, but I'd like to recommend two things, based on my personal experiences with an early-shortening/softening cervix. First, please print out this list of preterm labor symptoms (http://www.keepemcookin.com/symptoms.aspx) for her to keep at home on the fridge and also somewhere at work.  Please have her call her doctor if she has any of the symptoms, OR she can go straight to L&D to have her cervix checked.

I'm also concerned about her symptoms being overlooked, because the symptoms of preterm labor can be so similar to the normal discomforts of pregnancy. You can also print out this guide for how to describe her symptoms to her doctor: http://www.keepemcookin.com/talk.aspx  You mentioned that she's been having pains. Can you describe them?

I do hope her doc will do another u/s on the 9th, even if just to give her peace of mind. Please let us know how the appointment goes. And don't hesitate to get in touch!
Keep 'em cookin'!

flowerpot77

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009 at 06:58 AM »
I hope your daughter is doing ok.  As you ask for experience i can give you mine.

12 weeks - cervix measuring 3.8cm.

18 weeks - cervix meausring 2.8cm

21 weeks - cervix measuring 1.7cm.

22 weeks - cervix measuring 2.1cm.

23 weeks - cervix measuring 0.8cm and funnelling.

24 weeks - cevrvix measuring 2.1cm and not funnelling.

My case is probably very differnt to your daughters though.  I lost first baby at 23 weeks. Second baby was stitched in from 14 weeks and came at 35 weeks.  I was put on bedrest from 21 weeks with this pregnancy and it does seem to have stabilised things.

Good luck to your DD and you.

Flowerpot.

Lala

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009 at 01:53 PM »
Thanks to both of you for your replies.  DD went in on 4/9 and got her routine checkup and bloodwork.  All is okay with that except a mild B12 deficiency.  Anyway, OB put her on 3-day a week schedule at work.  She sees OB every 2 weeks now, so she will have an ultrasound this coming Tuesday (4/21) and we'll see where her cervix is.  Of course, if it's at 2.5, she will go on full disability.  If not, my DD thinks that this OB has totally forgotten that, when she had her first m/c, she had an HSG done and was diagnosed with a bicornuate uterus.  The fertility center did a MRI and yes, she has one, but not severe, said that she would probably not have any problems.  BUT, IMO, it's still considered a high-risk thing and I really think her OB forgot (because the OB is the one who told her she could have PTL when she got pregnant!).

Anyway, she's going to mention this on Wednesday (next OB appt) and see how she reacts.  I'll keep you posted.

In the meantime, she's not feeling any better, but not any worse.  Baby is fine - moving all over the place and last u/s showed no problems.

Thanks again - I will give you an update next week!

Lala