Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: 30.5 weeks with preterm labor  (Read 2609 times)


  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
30.5 weeks with preterm labor
« on: April 13, 2009 at 01:05 PM »
Found this site through a Twitter follow and am super excited to talk to other ladies going through the same thing. First, a quick intro: My name is Tori. I'm 25 and expecting my first, a little boy named Zach, on June 18th... the day after my third wedding anniversary. :)

The first time I felt "real" (as in non-BH) contractions was at 24 weeks. Was sent to L&D then and found out that they were being caused by kidney stones. Once the stone was passed, the ctx stopped on the spot. I thought I was in the clear.

Flash forward to Easter morning, yesterday. I woke up at about 5 with sharp pains. They were familiar. They were pretty consistent. Hubby woke up an hour later and convinced me to start timing them. Sure enough, 6-7 minutes apart and lasting about 1 min 40 sec each. I'm really stubborn so I tried everything in every book to get them to calm down. A hot shower did help and made me at least functional. We went to church (I really didn't want to miss Easter service) and while there, the contractions came back. We got home and called the doctor, who informed me that I should have really gone in earlier.

We got to the hospital and I was hooked up to the monitors, and had a cervical check and fFN test. There was no change in the cervix, so they decided not to send the fFN test to the lab (which I plan on asking about later today at my follow up appointment, because that darn swab hurt so I want something out of it!). My contractions were almost textbook patterns. They gave me a Terb shot after a few hours of monitoring to calm the ctx and sent me home.

My mom was sweet and brought over some Easter ham and other treats. We were starving by this point, especially after having missed two other family events full of food. After eating, I started having contractions again, only this time they were way more sharp. I figured it had something to do with the fact I just ate a ton of food after not having eaten all day... indigestion or gas, something like that. After a couple trips to the restroom, the contractions were getting worse and closer together again. I tried to lay down to sleep and ended up running for the bathroom to throw up. My husband called the doctor who told us to go immediately back to L&D.

This time I ended up with an IV, another Terb shot, and some anti-nausea medication. My ctx stopped again and I was sent home with instructions to stay on bedrest for the rest of the day until my follow-up doctor appointment in the afternoon (which I already had scheduled anyways).

After reading a whole bunch of the links on this site, it's a wonder I didn't do something sooner. I have that "constantly hard tummy" issue, but always chalked it up to Braxton Hicks, since it was just a little uncomfortable and not painful. Now I'm wondering if I don't have an Irritable Uterus or something like that, since I have pretty much every single one of the descriptions of symptoms. Even after having slept most of the night (a couple contractions woke me up, but weren't bad enough to keep me that way) I'm still in a little pain today, especially in my back, and a bit crampy. I am curious what I will learn at my doctor appointment today. We shall see!