Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: 20 weeks, premature labor since 17 weeks, scared!!  (Read 8061 times)

Taryn

• View Profile
20 weeks, premature labor since 17 weeks, scared!!
« on: March 27, 2009 at 09:28 PM »
I found this group after I believe Angela posted it on a board I just recently joined on Facebook, so thank you Angela, for posting this link.

This is my history as of this far:

August 1996 - lost firstborn daughter when water broke at 21 weeks, due to amnioitis, with no symptoms, she was born stillborn

February 1998 - have my 2nd daughter born at 35 weeks, started premature labor at 22 weeks, in and out of the hospital, at 27 weeks, they found my cervix was torn, and we feel it happened when I was in labor with my first that she came down and I wasn't fully dilated.  In and out of the hospital from 27-31 weeks, at 31 weeks, put in hospital for the duration, delivered at 35 weeks

Now - my 3rd daughter, my husband's first.  At 17 weeks, after a great deal of pain, was found to be 2cm dilated, admitted to the hospital immediately, had cerclage put in, spent 2 more days in the hospital.  Been having some pain, contractions anywhere between 6-12 hours apart, and I was just put on weekly ultrasounds to check my cervix, and if it starts to thin out at all, I am put in the hospital for the duration.

I am just so scared to lose this baby, I do my best to stay positive as I know positive thoughts is what is best right now, but sometimes its just so hard.  My husband has been amazing through all of this, he has been my rock but only he understands so much.  So I am glad I found this group, I need all the support I can get right now, and lend as much support as I can to everyone else too.

Taryn

• View Profile
Re: 20 weeks, premature labor since 17 weeks, scared!!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009 at 09:30 PM »
One thing I forgot to mention is I dealt with secondary infertility, took us almost 4 years to get pregnant with this baby, and 4 IUI's later.

Taryn

• View Profile
Re: 20 weeks, premature labor since 17 weeks, scared...UPDATE
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009 at 01:44 AM »
Just a little update, as this is something I didn't know could happen until I had it happen to me.

Last Sunday, I was in a ton of pain, and had contractions about 3 minutes apart (I was just about to hit 21 weeks the next day), I went to the L&D floor of my hospital per my OB's instructions.  The OB on call thought I was in labor so he checked me, and he didn't feel any tension on the cerclage, so he didn't think it was trying to open, and no effacing, so he knew something else had to be going on.  They had me give an urine sample, and the nurse said it was very cloudy, which a lot of times means an infection.  They tested it with the dipstick test, came back negative, but they wanted to test it more thoroughly so they sent it down to the lab, where they found I had a very nasty bladder infection.  I got an IV put in with fluids and 2 doses of antibiotics to load me up on them, and as long as the contractions stopped, they would let me go home, after spending about 2 hours there, the contractions had tapered off to nothing, so an hour later they let me go home on oral antibiotics.  I actually had a friend go in to the hospital a couple days later, with the same symptoms as me, about 4 weeks ahead of me in her pregnancy and she ended up having a bladder infection as well.  I didn't know a bladder infection can cause contractions like that, but I truly thought I was in labor, so if you have any symptoms of one, please see your doctor as soon as possible.

flowerpot77

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009 at 06:54 AM »
Hi Taryn

How are you getting on now?  How many weeks and days have you made it to?  I so hope that cerclage does it job and you can keep baby in safe.  Do let me know how you are doing!!  You are hopefully one week further along to that 24 week milestone.

I have a slightly similar story.  Lost first baby girl at 23 weeks.  Then had a son a few years later with thanks to cerclage and he came at 35 weeks. 

This pregnancy i was unable to get a cerclage so they scanned my cervix and at 21 weeks it started misbehaving so i was put on bedrest. Have done 3 weeks bedrest now.  Cervix is doing strange things, shortening and opening, then lengthening again etc.  God knows what is going on.

This baby is also my husbands first!

Good luck and keep posting.  I am keeping everything crossed for us both.

Flowerpot

Taryn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009 at 10:13 AM »
Hi,

I am doing a bit better.  I hit 23 weeks on Monday.  My contractions have stopped, and the cramping is not as bad as it has been in the past.  I was on bedrest from 17 weeks til 22 weeks, but since the contractions stopped, my OB lifted my bedrest.  They are starting to think the cause of my contractions was from the bladder infection, since they have stopped since I was a couple days into taking my antibiotics.  I am just so thankful that it really did have nothing to do with the pregnancy with the contractions.    So I am guessing by what you have said, that you are maybe 1 week ahead of me?  Do you know what you are having?  My husband is so excited since this is his 1st, and he is taking great care of me.  I actually work from home and my husband is my boss, and if I am ever having an off day and I try to get some work done, he yells at me, well not yells but tells me to rest.  He has been very protective of me, and I start steroid shots on April 20.  My 11 yr old was born at 35 weeks, with little problems, she got a slight case of pneumonia but that was because she got stuck during delivery and she inhaled some amniotic fluid, well once she got rid of that, she got jaundice, she spent 2 weeks in the hospital, but no breathing problems, which was always my biggest concern, but I had a real rough time after I had her, and those 2 weeks she was in the hospital, so was I.  I ended up getting uterine sepsis a few days after she was born.  I told my OB (different one from the last 2 pregnancies) that if she made it to 35 weeks and had the little problems my daughter had, I would be thrilled.  He wants to try to get me to 38 weeks if possible, he thinks I have a shot at it, we'll just have to see how things go. I will go at 38 weeks at the very latest, due to scheduled c-section.  I am not going through what I went through to have my daughter, 23 hours of labor, 3 1/2 hours of pushing, only to find out she is stuck in my pelvic bone and cannot progress any further, and ending up with a c-section.

Keeping everything crossed for us both too!

ericap

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009 at 09:14 AM »
Good Luck to you. I don't know how you do it, although I do know God doesn't give you anything you can't handle. You are a strong woman, and have been through so much. Keep your head up and I will keep you, your family, and the little one in my prayers!

Taryn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009 at 09:21 AM »
Thank you, I really appreciate that.  Losing my first one almost destroyed me but somehow I got through it.  I know she is with me, and she watches over me and both my babies, even though one of them is not so much a baby anymore, well not a baby at all, she is 11 and as tall as me.
With this baby, I think I would have lost my mind a while ago if it wasn't for my husband who is so supportive through all of this, he has been my rock through all of this, and I don't know what I would do without him.